Nueva Valencia

PROFILE

DATE FOUNDED: January 1, 1941
CLASSIFICATION: 4th Class
AREA: 13,711 Has
NO. OF BARANGAYS: 22
NO. OF SITIOS: 133
POPULATION: 36,515
GROWTH RATE: 2.67%
NO. OF HOUSEHOLDS: 7,234
DIALECT: Kinaray-a, Hiligaynon
RELIGION: Roman Catholic (75.19%) Aglipayan (19.86%) Others (4.95%)
LITERACY RATE: 95.13%
LAND USE: Predominantly Agricultural
SOURCE OF LIVELIHOOD: Agriculture, Fishing and Services
MAJOR PRODUCTS: Mango, Rice, Coconut
GEOGRAPHICAL COORDINATES: 10 31’40.63″ N & 122 32’18.62″ E

BARANGAYS

  • POBLACION
  • CONCORDIA
  • IGANG
  • ORACON
  • MAGAMAY
  • CALAYA
  • STO. DOMINGO
  • SAN ANTONIO
  • PANDARAONAN
  • IGDARAPDAP
  • TANDO
  • CANHAWAN
  • DOLORES
  • CABALAGNAN
  • LUCMAYAN
  • PANOBOLON
  • SAN ROQUE
  • GUIWANON
  • SALVACION
  • LANIPE
  • LAPAZ
  • NAPANDONG

DESTINATIONS

  • RUMAGANGRANG BEACH RESORT
  • PULANG PASAYAN
  • CALAYA BAG WEAVERS
  • SEAFDEC SUBSTATION
  • NVMPCSI
  • KALIBUKAWAN COVE
  • NV GARDENS
  • YATO ISLET
  • WHITE SAND BEACH & MANGROVES
  • HERITAGE TOURISM PROJECT
  • RAYMEN BEACH RESORT
  • FARO de LUZARAN LIGHTHOUSE
  • FREELANCE BEACH RESORT
  • HINALARAN COVE
  • RICO BEACH RESORT
  • CLEAR WATER BEACH RESORT
  • BELLA COVE
  • GUIWAD BEACH
  • VILLA CLARA BEACH RESORT
  • TOYO REEF CALIFORNIA CORAL
  • MALINGIN ISLET
  • SANTO NIÑO BEACH RESORT
  • UNISAN ISLET
  • ISLA MIGUEL
  • NVMPC BEACH RESORT
  • PUGO LOCO
  • OBOG AETA COMMUNITY
  • COCO PALM BEACH RESORT
  • TAKLONG ISLAND NATIONAL MARINE RESERVE (TINMAR)
  • PUNTA TANDO BEACH RESORT
  • CUEVA NI TUDYONG
  • AMANCIO BEACH RESORT
  • LOMBIJA WILDLIFE
  • TAJANLANGIT BEACH RESORT
  • VALMAG RESTHOUSE

THE CHURCH AND THE STATE

The history of Nueva Valencia, just like that of other towns in the island of Guimaras, dates back to the time when Himal-us (Guimaras) was Christianized by the Spaniards in 1591.

The towns were known as pueblicitos (villages) of Nayup (Buenavista with San Pedro Apostol as patron saint; Nabilhan (Jordan) with San Juan Bautista as its patron saint; and Agang (Valencia) whose patroness was Santa Ana. Although during the Spanish regime there were separate powers between the church and the state, yet the church had much influence in the creation of pueblos (towns) and establishment of parishes.

It was also mentioned in the “History of Panay” by Regalado and Franco, that in Panay, the towns included under the jurisdiction of Ogtong (Oton) were the three towns in the Island of Himal-us, namely Nayup, Nabilhan and Agang.

In 1742, the island fell under the jurisdiction of Dumangas until 1751 when the Jesuits took over from the Augustinian Order. In 1768, the Dominicans had spiritual jurisdiction over Guimaras until 1775 when it was organized into a regular parish with Iloilo.

HOW NUEVA VALENCIA GOT ITS NAME

With the coming of the Spaniards, trade and commerce also flourished as Spain opened markets to foreign countries. There was a “galleon trade” between Manila and Acapulco. Iloilo at that time was known as the “Fort of the Southern Archipelago.”

Just like at present, the sea route from Manila to Panay passed the western portion of Guimaras, through the Iloilo Strait and docked at Fort San Pedro. The Spaniards saw the need of a lighthouse to guide the incoming and outgoing vessels especially during dark nights and when typhoon occurred. The suitable place for a lighthouse was in Himal-us (Guimaras).

The group, with some engineers, landed in Puyu which at that time, the landing point of vessels. They went on foot until they reached a place which is now Sitio Guisi. Such place was ideal for a lighthouse since it could be seen far away from the sea. The Spaniards named the place as Punta Santa Ana in honor of the patroness of typhoon. A lighthouse was const ructed which operates until today.

The Spaniards had come to like the place of Santa Ana which extended from the lighthouse to Sitio Puyu. Eventually, population increased and the Spanish authority created Santa Ana as a town and named it Valencia after a town in Spain which patroness was Santa Ana. The first appointed “alcalde mayor” was Don Manuel Segovia. The municipal building called “Casa Real” was constructed and was located adjacent to the site of now Nueva Valencia National High School. Later, the seat of the municipal government was transferred to Barrio Igang when the Casa Real was razed by fire due to an unknown cause. Igang then became the Poblacion and the whole town was named Nueva Valencia or “New Valencia”. Valencia became a barrio named Santa Ana.

Leave a Reply